Thursday, April 3, 2008

My Introduction

As a law student, I constantly read opinions by judges going on about all of the balancing tests they must apply. They balance efficiency against justice and autonomy against social stability. Judges aren’t the only enlightened beings who must pit one lofty ideal against another though. We too must play the balancing game when our time, money, and motivational resources are limited. And when aren’t they limited? How can I succeed at my job/school, live a green life, stay in budget, eat decent meals, maintain relationships, promote social justice, and not sell out all at the same time? This is what my blog is all about.

I do plan to emphasize some aspects of this admittedly broad topic. I’m a law student specializing in environmental law; so that obviously colors my perspective. I also lived in sub-Saharan Africa for a year which got me interested in (and outraged by) African politics and development. But basically I’m very practical. Many of my posts will be how-to articles and recipes. Most of my articles will apply to people living a frugal lifestyle. However, since there are already a lot of great frugal blogs out there I am going to focus more on the social responsibility niche. I can’t promise to exclude all eccentric rants. But what’s the point of a blog if you can’t rant about something now and then?

No comments: